Sunday, March 8, 2009

Alabama the Sad Example

I don't really want to get into stereotypes - my mom always said, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." But seeing as I've already stomped on that and beat it with a stick in this blog, I may as well keep on going.

Which causes me to wonder for a second - in reality, I'm actually trying to do a good thing with this blog. Pointing out grammatical errors can only help the world, right? It makes me happy to do this, which is a good thing as well. So, while I may not be saying nice things about others, I am merely offering constructive criticism. But just to cover my butt, I'm going to offer a blanket, "Bless their hearts!" to all who can't help but screw up their grammar.

So off to Alabama we go. Alabama is one of those southern states that seems to get a bad rap for their educational system. Why? Maybe it's because they've earned it. Here is a sign that appears when you enter the state.

Not bad (although I would have stated it differently). I especially love the ironic background.


BUT - when you explore further into the Alabama road system, they like to remind you of their original statement. Keep Alabama beautiful - right? Wrong. Enter the bright individual who stamped a big OK on the final proof for these signs:

Um - what? Maybe Alabama has a super secret campaign to rename the state 'Alabama the Beautiful'? And maybe that new state is about to be purchased by another country? But how would littering affect the buyout? Hmmm.


No, I'm afraid it's just Alabama showing their ignorance. You can argue against the stereotypes all you want, Alabama the Beautiful, but it's not going to help having evidence like this every few miles across the state.


Bless their hearts. They just can't help it.


Thank you to Lauren, who is serving as a temporary scout (deep undercover) in Alabama (the beautiful).


I'm not partial to southern states - show me what you've got in your home state - except you northerners - I know you're all perfect ;-)


Note - I am not criticizing the owners of the wonderful home behind the sign above. I'm sure it's a wonderful home and in no way do I mean to trash them. It's just damn funny that their home appears behind the sign.

2 comments:

OHN said...

You make me laugh :)

Athena said...

I can't make this sh*t up.