Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Blame It On The Tittles

 blame it all on the tittles. Not that tittles are an actual thing, but hey, go with it.


For years, I've harbored a not-so-secret grudge against the appalling lack of editors in the local paper, the overuse of "quotation" "marks", and other basic rules of grammar being continually abused and ignored. I've had enough. It's time to take  stand. I will shout out the errors to the world (or the few who may stumble upon this blog) and insist that people begin to pay attention to the rules of grammar once again!



I am not an English major, nor do I claim to be perfect in all that I may speak or write. But some things are just so - so - GLARING, that I had to create a place to vent.



So let's get to it. Our first example - and the first time I documented abuse, comes to us courtesy of the local paper. Apparently economics have forced them to eliminate editors altogether. I don't know, maybe they think that basic spell check will be enough to catch errors? Guess not. Witness this recent (very large, I might add) headline in the sports section:




How, I ask, does that gain approval for print? What does it say about the paper in general? That they don't care? They can't be bothered?


*sigh*




No comments: